Tuesday, July 14, 2009

An Impossible Pair, Scene v1

Sara, wrapped in a blue silk bathrobe, muttered to herself as she scoured her clothes violently at the sink in her room. She draped the washed clothes next to the small fire heater before slumping into a chair. Wiping her daggers with a rag, she glared at Kismet who sat at the bed across from her. “Seriously, why do I always get stuck with you? It’s like people actually go out of their way to make me miserable or something.”

“It’s not like I enjoy it any more than you do, and your constant whining doesn’t help.”

“Why did you even join the military anyway? You could’ve made Princess Delphi much happier by just staying with her all the time. Hell, it would’ve made everyone a lot happier,” snapped Sara.

“I want to be able to protect her. Some of us have a purpose for joining other than fame and boosting our ego, you know.”

“Stop acting like you’re so noble. Besides, what do you know? You’re just a stupid furlicker. Now turn around and don’t look!”

Kismet averted her eyes with a sigh as Sara began slipping into her dried undergarments. “I don’t see why it even matters if I’m looking. It’s not like I’m ogling you or anything.” Kismet turned back to her and stared. “See? Whoooooops, I looked!”

Sara crumpled in a desperate attempt to conceal herself. “What the hell is wrong with you? Stop watching me!”

“Oh no! Don’t you feel so violated now? I don’t know if I can control myself after seeing you. You’d better be careful, I might rape you,” teased Kismet.

Sara spun her back to Kismet, her face burning with embarrassment. She slipped her undergarments on, careful to keep her back to the Catheran. “Shut up, that’s not funny.”

Kismet laughed at Sara. It felt wonderful to cause her so much embarrassment. “Why is it such a big deal anyway? I wouldn’t be surprised if almost half the soldiers have already seen you naked.”

“What do you think I am, some floozy whore? And for your information, I have never let a man see me.” She flung the robe at Kismet before huffily getting into bed. “Now stop bothering me. I’m going to sleep.”

Kismet welled with satisfaction. She watched Sara close her eyes and calm herself down. The power of sleep always amazed the Catheran in its ability to make everyone appear harmless and peaceful. But she found that such a façade is usually a lie. Only when everyone is asleep is there ever true peace for her. She slowly crept up to the archer until she was breathing down her neck. Sara opened her eyes, only to be licked across the face, making her shiver with disgust. “What the hell is the matter with you?!”

Kismet roared with laughter. Sara hooked her right arm into the side of Kismet’s face. She pointed at the door. “Get out and leave me alone!”

“What the hell is going on in there?” called in Devin, pounding on the door.

Sara pulled open the door, her face flushed with anger. “Tell that damn furlicker to stay away from me!” Kismet held out her robe to cover herself, but she slapped it away as she continued. “I’ll pay for my own room, I don’t care. Anything to get away from her.”

“I don’t know how in heaven’s name the two of you managed to make it this far. Do you have any idea how bad you’re making us look right now? If you hope to make it any further, you better shape up, and suck it up. The innkeeper has already reserved an entire floor for us. You’re not getting another room. Learn to deal with it and get some rest. And for heaven’s sake, shut the hell up.” Devin returned to his room next door, muttering to himself. “I swear...it’s like babysitting a bunch of kids.”

Sara closed the door with a growl. She glared at Kismet as she climbed back into her bed. “Leave—Me—Alone! If you don’t, I swear I’ll—”

“Whatever, I don’t care. Who would want to be in the same room with you all night anyway? I’ll just leave. Go ahead and get your beauty rest, you’re really starting to look like you need it.” Kismet grabbed her cloak and headed downstairs.



First: Kismet vs. Bandits, Scene v1
Previous: A Second Home, Scene v2
Next: Strangers in the Night, Scene v2

No comments: