Thursday, December 17, 2009

Dye (Part 2), Scene v1

“She followed Lucas to Kelta, and was near there earlier this afternoon.”

Devin gave a puzzled look while Nakita chomped on her apple. “Kelta? But that’s a couple days south of here.”

The sweet pomegranate smell of Razelin’s shampoo filled Devin’s lungs as she began drying her hair with a large white towel. “Apparently she met an Undine. She said last she knew she was at a pond near Kelta, then suddenly appeared back in the castle.”

“Like she teleported? I hope you don’t really believe that.”

“I had my doubts at first too, but Kismet isn’t one to lie. I asked Princess Delphi if she knew anything about it, and she told me something interesting. She said Kismet suddenly appeared in the water while she was taking a bath.”

Nakita’s chewing stopped abruptly. She looked up at Razelin with that strange glimmer of curiosity in her eyes. “Wait, are you saying that the Undine somehow sent her back here? But if that were true, why hasn’t Serenade left the aquarium, or the two in Eliad?”

It was little wonder why Nakita was so interested, since her research involved Undine essences, but Devin was captivated as well. If it were possible to send something such a long distance in such a short amount of time, trading would be easier and traveling would be faster. Razelin didn’t seem as enthusiastic. “I’m not sure. I was wondering that myself. What worries me more is the security risk. Since Kismet was sent directly to the young princess’ bath, what’s to stop someone else from appearing from within the castle?”

A heavy silence filled the air. Razelin was right. It would be a major issue if people learned how to replicate what happened to the Catheran. Devin brushed the stubbles of hair on his chin. “We have to learn more about it before anyone else does, while keeping it secret. It could be a problem if news of this gets out.”

Razelin nodded. “Nakita, I hate to interfere with your research, but since you know the most about essences, I want you to look into this.”

The sorceress rolled her eyes with a groan. “Fine. I guess I’ll go talk to Serenade tomorrow after the aquarium closes.”

Razelin gently patted Nakita’s shoulder. “The dye should be settled. You can go wash up now.”

Nakita hopped off the table and walked to her pile of clothes on the chair at the other end of the table. After stretching, she slipped off her blue silk camisole and tossed it atop the pile, along with her laced bottoms. “H-Hey, I’m right here you know. Have you no shame?”

The naked sorceress kept her back to the two generals and threw a kiss into the air before walking off to their bathing chamber. Razelin stared Devin’s face with a grin. He looked back at her, baffled that she found Nakita’s behavior amusing. “What?”

“Look at you. You’re turning red,” she teased, with a small laugh.

He averted his eyes. Everyone complained about Nakita’s eyes, and the chill they sent down your spine, but Devin always found Razelin’s stares the worst. He swore she could read his mind whenever she stared at him that way. “It’s more from anger and frustration than anything.” He took a bite from his apple and chewed forcefully.

“I know. I didn’t expect her to go that far either, but admit it; she gave you a treat, and you liked it.”

“Fine. I’ll admit she’s attractive. But I swear you enjoy it more than I do,” he retorted, careful to avoid meeting her eyes.

She laughed her modest laugh. It was a soft, refined laugh. Even when she laughed at people, it would always brighten their mood. Devin found it in himself to meet her eyes again. “Doesn’t it even bother you that she would just strip right in front of us?”

Razelin resumed drying her hair with her towel as she answered. “It just shows how comfortable she is with us now, and I think that’s a good thing. She has no where else she can express herself so freely.”

“I suppose. I just wish she would stop expressing herself when I’m around,” he sighed.

“She just loves to tease you because she knows you won’t do anything to hurt her.” Razelin set her towel on the table and began brushing her hair. “Anyway, what do you plan to do with Lucas?”

“I don’t know. I was hoping I could get a better idea of how he’s handling everything from Kismet’s observations, but it looks like that won’t be happening. It’ll only get worse if he sees her now, after Nakita had her fun, not to mention when he learns of her fate too.”

“You’re going to have to tell him when he gets back. He has the right to know, and he’ll find out eventually anyway.”

“I know.” Devin walked over to the waste bin. Razelin’s words weighed heavily on him as he tossed the apple core. “I know.”



First: Kismet vs. Bandits, Scene v1
Previous: Dye, Scene v1
Next: Love Lost, Scene v1

No comments: