Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Delphi in the Gardens, Scene v1

Here is the scene immediately following Kismet vs. Bandits. This scene introduces Delphi and her relationship with Kismet. As always, please feel free to leave comments.

===============================================================================

The castle garden bathed in the morning sun, emitting a warm and gentle glow. The soothing sound of trickling water filled the air, accompanied by Princess Delphi’s soft song. Her long, white silken dress glistened in the light, as she sat on the fountain side pulling petals from a flower and tossed them into the water. Kismet felt her troubles wash away as the sweet fragrance of the garden filled her lungs, and the beautiful voice of the young princess calmed her soul.

Kismet couldn’t help but smile as she walked up to her dearest, and only, friend. Her paws treaded lightly on the walkway. Delphi stood abruptly, her hand drawn back to her chest. Seeing the fur-hide she knew so well, the long auburn hair she groomed so often, and the feline face she had always loved, Delphi knew that it was none other than her very own Kismet.

“You scared me, Kismet!” said Delphi with a smile. “Stop sneaking up on me like that. I hardly even heard you walk in.”

“Sorry, your singing was so relaxing, I didn’t want to interrupt,” replied Kismet as she sat next to Delphi on the fountain.

“You know it embarrasses me when people listen to me sing!” said Delphi, playfully shoving Kismet’s arm.

Kismet flinched. “A—are you hurt? I’m so sorry!” said Delphi, startled.

“I’m fine. It’s nothing to worry about,” insisted Kismet, as Delphi inspected the wound, which had almost fully healed.

The young princess pulled out a handkerchief, dipped it into the fountain, and began cleaning the blood off Kismet’s arm. “But it looks like it really hurts.”

“Don’t worry so much. It’s really not that bad.”

“I really wish you didn’t join the military and would just stay in the castle with me. Every time you leave I get so worried.”

Kismet gave Delphi a comforting smile. “You know I have to if I’m to become your personal guard, since you can only select someone from the military.”

“I know, but I won't be turning sixteen for almost a year. Couldn’t you wait until then, just before I get to pick?”

Kismet laughed. “People already don’t like the idea that you want to pick me. We don’t even know if they’d let you. I just hope that I can earn at least a little trust before the time comes, so that you actually can.”

Delphi hugged Kismet tightly. “I guess you’re right. But I still don’t like it. What if something happens to you?”

Kismet returned her embrace warmly. “I’ll be fine, I promise.”

The trickling of the fountain pierced the silence. Delphi rested her head on Kismet’s shoulder. “So, tell me! I’ve seen so many beautiful paintings. Is it really like that out there?”

“Apart from city life, it really is beautiful. The sweet scent of the trees swaying in the wind, the refreshing taste of a fresh stream, it makes me feel…at peace. But the outside life is in no way similar to how it is in the castle; I doubt you’d like it.”

“It’s because it’s so different that I’m so interested! All my life I’ve been stuck here. It’s been nine years since I’ve last left the castle.”

“The day you found me on the river bank.”

Delphi nodded. “Even then, I hardly remember what it was like, and it was with my family and the guards. To travel and see what life is like on the outside—even if it’s just for a little…”

After a moment of thought, Delphi leaned on Kismet’s knees excitedly with her hands. “Say, would you do me a favor?”

“Hah!” Kismet gave her a suspicious eye. “I can guess what you’re thinking, and you know very well that I can’t.”

Delphi frowned. “Aww! Please, Kismet? I only wanted to pick some cavalilies for Father. Karen told me she saw a patch growing on the other side of the river.”

Kismet sympathetically placed her hands on top of Delphi’s. “You know you’re not allowed to leave the castle without your parent’s permission.”

“I know, but it shouldn’t be far. We’d be back before anyone would notice I’m gone. Besides, you’ll be there to protect me!” Delphi looked at Kismet with sad eyes. “Please, just this once? For me?”

Kismet shook her head with a sigh. “Fine. Just this once. If anyone finds out, I’m going to lose my hide for this.”

Delphi cheered. She bounced with excitement and hugged Kismet tightly. Kismet flinched. “Oww! Calm down, you’re hurting my arm!”

Delphi jumped back in embarrassment. “Oops! Sorry, I’m just so excited!”

She quickly grabbed Kismet by the hand and began pulling her along. “Let’s go, let’s go!”

Kismet chuckled, “Alright, alright, just calm down!”



First: Kismet vs. Bandits, Scene v1
Next: The Great Outdoors, Scene v1

No comments: