Friday, August 28, 2009

Lost Promise (Part 2), Scene v1

He held the last letter out to Kismet. She took the letter hesitantly, staring at him. She unfolded it slowly, unsure if he wanted her to read it.

Day 1, 1st Month of Winter, Year 1126
Dear Lucas,


Mother died last week. She got sick from the cold
nights, but her body couldn’t handle it. The same
thing has been happening to a lot of my people. Ever
since Mother died, Kain has been actively trying to
organize ways to get more food, especially since
Winter is here. Now everyone is desperate, and have
resorted to stealing from villages and travelers.

I don’t know what to do anymore, Lucas. I’m afraid.
Why did Mother have to die? She was such a good
person. And now…now we’re no different than bandits.
Criminals. What do I do, Lucas? I’ll be at the
willow in six days, on the night of the Feast.
Please…meet me there. I miss you so much.

Love always,

Isella



Lucas dug his nails into the palm of his hands. “She…she was waiting for me. She needed me…and I wasn’t there for her. If only—if only I was there, then maybe—”

“It wasn’t your fault. You didn’t know,” pointed out Kismet.

“But if I did. If I did know, then maybe I could’ve saved her. I could’ve convinced her to come back home, then none of this would’ve ever happened.”

“There’s no point thinking about what could’ve been different. It already happened, and all that matters is how you deal with it.”

Lucas snapped his head toward her with a sharp glare. “I don’t need you lecturing me. Just…just leave me alone.”

Kismet nodded. She folded the letter carefully and set it down beside him before leaving him alone under the willow. If she were in his situation, and Isella were instead Delphi, she would undoubtedly follow her to the very end, and do whatever she could to save her. The Catheran glanced back at the troubled soldier’s silhouette, lying on the boulder. She shook the thought of her head and walked back to Yuin.

The shops were closed, and the roads nearly empty. Although it was only a few hours after dinner, it seemed as if the village had fallen asleep. Delphi was probably getting ready to sleep as well. It had been eleven days since she last saw Delphi. She wanted to see her dearest friend but she was in the middle of her lessons, and General Devin told her to keep an eye on Lucas. Kismet closed her eyes apologetically, hoping Delphi could somehow feel her sentiment. The Catheran stepped onto the small store patio. Her eyes trailed from the “CLOSED” sign to the lit second-story window.

Knock knock knock.



First: Kismet vs. Bandits, Scene v1
Previous: Lost Promise, Scene v1
Next: A Gracious Hostess, Scene v1

No comments: