Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Willow (Part 3), Scene v1

A man walked into sight with his worn linen hood drawn over his head. The moonlight licked his face, revealing a thinning face with a small scar across his top lip. Only his right eye was visible, sunken and tired. His black Kival eyes glinted in the moonlight as a grin crossed his face. “I’m glad you came, Lucas.” Lucas took a step forward, but Kain quickly put a hand out. “Stay where you are if you want to live.”

With a growl, Lucas stood his ground. He glanced at the shadows around him. “I thought you were going to save Isella. Why did you let her die?”

“Throw your weapon aside, and you’ll get your answer.” Lucas glared at him. “You don’t have much choice in the matter. I’m sure you’ve already noticed.”

The situation was far more grave than in the alley. He didn’t know how many Kival were supporting Kain, and several of them had arrows pointing at him. Hesitantly, he threw his sword to the side. He pointed to the dagger sheathed at the side of Lucas’ belt. Lucas tossed it between them. At the very least, he wanted some answers.

Kain took a few steps toward Lucas with a smile across his face. He picked up the dagger between them, examining the polished steel blade and etched leather hilt. He ran his finger over the side of the blade as he spoke. “So, I take it you watched the execution? How did they do it? No, wait. I’d rather not know.”

“She was impaled, in front of hundreds of people, because you didn’t save her like you said you would!” yelled Lucas.

Kain flinched. The corner of his mouth twitched with irritation. “You’re a fool to think that she could’ve been saved in only two days. You’d think one of the candidates for the Royal Guard would’ve known that, but I guess I should be thankful that wasn’t the case.” Lucas took a step forward. “Not a step closer.”

Lucas growled at him. He eyed the sword he threw to his right. It was several paces away—too far. “Then what do you want with me? Just what are you planning?”

“Please. Like I would tell you. But don’t worry, I’ve already put the information you gave me to good use. I merely came here to thank you.” Four Kival walked out with daggers in hand. They carefully made their way behind Lucas. “Lie down on your stomach.”

Lucas reluctantly lowered himself to the ground. “Holding me for ransom won’t gain you much.”

Kain laughed as the Kival picked Lucas up and twisted his arms behind his back. He walked up to Lucas, twirling the dagger around in his hand. “Don’t be silly. I’m not going to put you up for ransom. You see, I’m grateful for what you’ve done for my sister. The way she spoke about you and your family, it was touching really. But it was her obsession with you that got her killed. Ever since she saw you at Levan she kept following you around. So, you see, if you weren’t there in Lokem, she would have never been captured. I tried to send her somewhere else, but she can be so stubborn sometimes. And now, my precious little sister is dead.”

“Really. You don’t seem to care. You didn’t even try to save her.”

Kain’s face contorted hideously in the moonlight. He hit Lucas’ stomach with the hilt of the dagger. “I didn’t try to save her? By the time I learned of her capture, you were more than half way back to Rokan. If anyone could’ve saved her, it would’ve been you, before you reached the castle. I watched my father, my mother, and many of my kin, die from starvation and illness. I’ve seen them cut down by soldiers, and bandits. I’ve seen them freeze to death in the night. And why? Because you imperial scum would rather stuff your faces with food, and throw out the rest, than give it to those who need it. It’s because of you damn imperials that we were exiled and are left out to die, and it’s because of you that my sister is dead!”

Lucas’ body went rigid with pain, as Kain drove the blade of his dagger drove into his stomach. He slipped from the arms of the Kival onto the floor. A sharp whistle cut through the air, sending the Kival running with curses. He wanted to pull the dagger out, in hope that it would ease some of the pain, but he was too afraid. For a moment, he lay there in silence, afraid to move.




First: Kismet vs. Bandits, Scene v1
Previous: The Willow (Part 2), Scene v1
Next: The Willow (Part 4), Scene v1

No comments: