Thursday, August 20, 2009

Unexpected Company, Scene v1

"Aren't you going to read them?"

Lucas spun around to find those yellow eyes peering at him from just beyond the willow's reach. "Kismet? What are you doing here?"

"I just wanted to see if you were okay."

He let out a small huff as he sat back down. "General Devin sent you to keep an eye on me, didn't he?"

"Maybe. But still, you were so persistent in trying to find out more about what happened to her all this time."

Lucas gazed back at the letters in his hands without a word. Although she couldn't see his face, she could see that he was troubled. "Sorry, I didn't mean to pry into your personal life. I'll just leave and tell General--"

"No," interrupted Lucas, softly. "Please..stay."

For four years, he kept his personal life a secret, rarely ever mentioning Isella to anyone. He always felt that the relationship between two people was best shared only between those two people, rather than to quench people’s thirst for gossip. However, he found himself baring his troubles to someone he least expected. “Just after I turned sixteen, my parents hired Isella as a house servant. She cleaned the shop and did all of the household chores. She even grew to enjoy helping my mom with tailoring and keeping shop. A season later we became a couple, and were together ever since.”

Kismet sat on the edge of the boulder a couple feet away from Lucas. He stared out over the river. His short dark brown hair, and brown eyes, almost seemed black in the night. His exhaustion was obvious as he slumped over his knees while he continued. “I thought she was happy here. She was always so cheerful and full of energy. But now...”

“Maybe she really was. And I’m sure she really did love you back. She did write you letters, after all, and she even told you about them. I’m sure if you read them, you’d find out why she left.”

Lucas looked back down at the letters in his hand. The answers he had longed for. With trembling hands, he slid his finger under and broke the thin wax seal. Half a sheet of paper was neatly folded inside, with delicate handwriting in a reddish-blue berry color. Dated as the first month of winter, Lucas opened the other letters to find the first written. Feeling uneasy and lonely, he read the letter aloud while Kismet listened silently.


Day 4, 1st Month of Autumn, Year 1126
Dear Lucas,

My mother and brother were exiled from the Republic,
along with the rest of my people, and are searching for a new
home. I’ve decided to help them, but I’ll definitely come back
after we’ve found them a place to live peacefully. I wanted to
tell you in person, but I was too afraid. I wanted to see you
one more time before I left, but I knew that if I did, it would’ve
been too hard.

I’m so sorry. Please forgive me for leaving like this. I appreciate
everything you and your family have done for me. I wish things
could’ve been different so I could stay, but my family needs me.
I really hope to see you again soon. I miss you already.

Love always,

Isella



First: Kismet vs. Bandits, Scene v1
Previous: Letters, Scene v1
Next: Lost Promise, Scene v1

No comments: