Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Siren's Daughter, Part 1 (v1)

Here's the first part of the third short story (which is actually my very first one redone from a few years back).

===================================================================================

“Eliza, we’re back.”

I was caught off-guard when Eliza greeted me with a passionate kiss. She smirked at me devilishly. “Dinner is just about ready, so take a seat.”

I cleared my throat, flushed with embarrassment as I glanced back at Razelin. She trailed behind me in silence, lost in thought. Eliza, humming an upbeat song, set our plates in front of us. Her dishes were always delicious, but this time in particular looked and smelled exceptional. My mouth salivated at the sight of the stuffed pheasant breasts accompanied by an assortment of roasted vegetables. Eliza returned to the table with her own plate and a basket of buttermilk biscuits, sitting beside me.

“The food looks absolutely delicious, dear.”

“I’m glad. I spent hours making sure it would be just perfect.”

Clink. Clink.

Cutting into the pheasant, I watched Razelin poke at her plate with the same melancholic expression she had when we came home. The sweet juices of the stuffed pheasant filled my mouth as I ate a piece.

Clink. Clink.

Eliza’s cheerful mood quickly disappeared. “Is there a problem?”

Clink. Clink.

She seemed not to hear Eliza’s words as she continued poking at her plate. What could be bothering her so much? She was usually one to have a hearty appetite, and rarely did we ever get to enjoy such beautiful meal, yet she seemed to have no interest. “Razelin, what’s wrong?”

“May I be excused?”

Without even waiting for a response, she stood and headed toward the front door.

Eliza bolted up. “Where do you think you’re going? Sit back down and eat your food.”

Her words pierced the air like needles, but Razelin seemed unfazed. She continued out the door into the setting sun. I stood to go after her, but Eliza grabbed my arm. “Just let her come back on her own. Let’s not let her ruin the night for us.”

Reluctantly, I lowered myself back into my seat. It’s been months since I’ve seen Razelin so distant and depressed. Naturally, she has her mood swings once in awhile, but never so severe. Throughout the day, she appeared to be her usual focused self, but by the time we reached home…I wanted deeply to know what she was thinking. Was it a way for her to cry out for attention? No, that couldn’t be it. She never enjoyed being the center of attention.

“You’d think she would’ve learned some manners growing up, but I guess that’s what happens when you’re raised by a couple of entertainers,” said Eliza, her mouth half stuffed with food.

My face heated with anger. “Do not speak ill of her family. Her mother and sister were wonderful people.”

“I swear. All you men fall head over heels for those Perch women. It’s like they cast some spell over you, those sirens,” she snorted. “And now look at you. Even the child has you under her song. It’s like she’s eating you alive, the way you worry about her every second of the day.”

“I made a promise, Eliza. I’ve already failed him once, and I don’t intend to fail him again. The least I can do for him is care for his daughter in his stead.” I stood from the table.

She watched me with tear-stung eyes. “Wait, you’re not going to look for her, are you? You don’t even know where she went.”

I draped my silver-embroidered cloak around me, grabbed Razelin’s plain red one, and walked out into the city. Oddly enough, the distant sounds of vendors closing shop, and travelers heading into the taverns, lulled my frustrations. Two years after I became General Atraea’s apprentice, I promised him I would watch over his family if anything were to happen to him. It bothered me that Eliza, who has been with me for nine years now, half a year engaged, couldn’t understand why I had to care for Razelin. I must admit, I was afraid. I didn’t know how to be a father, and I really wanted Eliza’s hand in helping Razelin recover from all that has happened. Regardless, I had to do my best, whether she helped or not.



Next: The Siren's Daughter, Part 2 (v1)

No comments: