Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Siren's Daughter, End (v1)

And here's the end of The Siren's Daughter. I will probably take a small break from posting story content before resuming posts on my book.

====================================================================================

She kept running down the road, crying. She didn’t even look back. I slowed to a stop and stood there in the rain, watching her fade into the darkness. She was right. I should have done more to take care of them. I should have stepped up. I should have been there for Cassandra. I should have protected her. I should have taken them in…I should have kept my promise. I had to keep my promise. I couldn’t give up on it. Even though I made horrible decisions in the past, I couldn’t let it happen again. I had to find Razelin. I had to protect her. I had to care for her. She was my responsibility and I couldn’t let her father down again. I had to find her.

I walked back home to see if Razelin was there. I asked Eliza if she saw her.

“You mean to tell me that after all this time you still haven’t found her?” she asked.

“I did, but she ran off.”

Frustration filled Eliza’s voice. “Don’t you see, Devin? That girl isn’t worth the trouble. Just let her be on her own. She’s not even your child!”

Eliza used to be so understanding, so compassionate, and so supportive. It frustrated me that she became so selfish, especially when I needed her support the most, but I managed to keep my composure. “You know I can’t do that. I made a promise to take care of her, and I intend to keep that promise.”

“And you’re willing to sacrifice your life for it?” she yelled. “Your work is already suffering from having to take care of her. And what about the nights you can’t sleep because you worry about her? You’re always distracted and distant now.”

“If that’s what it takes, then so be it. But I’m sure things will improve soon. She just needs time…”

“You always say to give it time. Well I’ve given it plenty of time. For a year I’ve stood by you and watched the time go by. Apparently, time just doesn’t help. All time has done is made you more become more obsessive.”

“It will get better soon, I promise,” I assured her. “Just give it a little more time.”

Eliza fought back tears, her voice strained. “What about us, Devin? What about our time? Ever since she showed up, we never have time anymore. I bet you don’t even remember what day it is today.”

I walked out the door toward the cemetery. “I can’t deal with this right now. I need to find Razelin.”

Eliza ran after me in the rain and grabbed my shoulder. "Devin. I’m tired of being second to that child. I tried to be patient, but I just can’t anymore. It’s either her or me.”

I looked into her pleading eyes. The woman I thought I would spend the rest of my life with was reaching out at me with all of her heart. Her desperation pained my soul, not because of confusion or conflict, but because there was no hesitation in my mind. I closed my eyes in a silent farewell and shrugged away her hand. I continued toward the cemetery, never looking back. I couldn’t look back. I knew what I had to do, with or without Eliza’s support. No more excuses. No more distractions. No more regrets. I had to find Razelin. I had to keep my promise.

Razelin was sitting on the ground in front of her sister’s grave. Her face hid behind her knees as she hugged her legs close to her body. Her sobbing was hardly audible through the pouring rain. I stood next to her, unsure of what to do. She turned her head slightly as she heard me approach her. After a moment’s silence, she buried her face into my chest, embracing me.

“I’m sorry, Devin. I’m so sorry…I just…I—”

I hugged her back, stroking her hair. “There’s nothing for you to be sorry about.”

It had been nearly three years since I felt her sweet embrace. It was a feeling I would never forget. The warmth it brought soothed my soul. It was a sense of comfort I had never felt before. It was the first time I truly felt like a father.

“I…I don’t know what to do. What do I do…what should I do…?” she sobbed.

“Just be strong, Razelin. Make your family proud and be strong.”

The rain died down to a light shower. She calmed herself. “Can we go home now?”

I nodded with a smile. “Of course.”

We returned to the warmth of our home. I started a fire before walking into the master bedroom, as Razelin changed into something dry. Several of Eliza’s clothes and belongings were missing. A small note sat atop the covers of the bed:


Send the rest of my belongings to my sister’s


I looked around the bedroom. It looked so empty. As I changed into dry clothes, I couldn’t help but notice how little of what was in the bedroom was mine. Although it looked as though half of the room was missing, I didn’t feel lonely. I crumpled the note and threw it away before returning to the living room to check on the fire. Seeing Razelin curled up on the armchair near the fire brought a smile to my face. I draped a blanket over her as she slept soundly. I kissed her forehead and stroked her hair gently.

No more mistakes. No more regrets.



First: The Siren's Daughter, Part 1 (v1)
Previous: The Siren's Daughter, Part 9 (v1)

No comments: