Friday, April 10, 2009

The Siren's Daughter, Part 9 (v1)

One more part after this!

====================================================================================

“You’re right. You deserve to know the truth.” I took in a deep breath in a feeble attempt to steady my nerves. “As you know, your mother also used to work at Heaven’s Perch. She used to sing and dance there before it became the most popular tavern around. Remember when I told you that your father was one of the main reasons Heaven’s Perch became popular?”

Razelin nodded.

I rubbed the back of my neck. “Well, your father fell for Jasmine when he first heard her sing. Ever since, he would visit the Perch at least twice a week just to see her. And well… how do I say this…Your father—if he had met your mother about five years sooner, the he would have been around more.”

She looked at me confused.

“When your father met Jasmine, he was already married.”

“Married? To who?”

“He was married to Lady Margaret, the King’s cousin,” I replied.

“The King’s cousin? But then, why?”

I sat down on the edge of the chair facing her. “The love between Lady Margaret and your father faded a few years after their marriage. They carried on with their marriage, more for political purposes than for romantic reasons, even though they no longer loved each other like they used to. However, they agreed to let each other live their own separate lives outside of the castle, for the sake of their own happiness. So in essence, their marriage became more of a legal companionship, and nothing more.”

“But once Lady Margaret learned of your mother, she became very jealous, despite their agreement,” I continued. “As time went on, she became more and more jealous of your mother, which created tension between the three of them. Your father tried to alleviate the situation by limiting the time he spent with your mother and seeing her in secret.”

Razelin walked over to the bed and sat down. “What about my sister? Did she know about this?”

I nodded. “Yes. The birth of your sister was the breaking point for Lady Margaret. Ever since then, she always resented your sister, since she was the symbol of the love your parents shared. As Cassandra grew older, Lady Margaret’s jealousy grew as well. She always went out of her way to make things more difficult for Cassandra and your mother. But your parents didn’t hate her for her actions, and they didn’t want you to either. That is why we never told you about her.”

“What about after my father died?”

“The situation worsened after your father’s death. Lady Margaret was the reason you and your family received little support after his death. When people mourned the loss of your father, they sympathized more with your mother than Lady Margaret. Naturally, this angered her, and she took it out on your sister. She prevented your sister from being able to find a job. Heaven’s Perch was the only place your sister could find that didn’t give into Lady Margaret’s threats.”

Razelin looked up at me. “I thought you told me you promised my father that you’d take care of us? Why didn’t you do something to help her find another place to work?”

“I tried,” I insisted. “But Lady Margaret held a lot more influence than I did. I had just been appointed to fill your father’s position at the time, and many felt I was unfit to do so. Following in your father’s footsteps is difficult since people always compare my actions to his.”

Her voice grew frustrated. “And what about Clyde, did you know about him too?”

I tried to keep my composure. “I only knew that he was one of your sister’s more frequent visitors, but not much more than that. Your sister voiced her concern about a few of her visitors, but that’s a common thing for anyone working in the Perch.”

Razelin rose to her feet. “So you just thought nothing of it? You didn’t think she needed protection or something?”

“I tried to offer her protection, but she insisted she was just venting and didn’t need it. And like I said, women who work in the Perch always have similar concerns about their visitors, but nothing usually happens.”

“Even if she didn’t want your help, why didn’t you help her anyway? Why didn’t you take us in even though she refused? I thought you promised my father you’d watch over us. I thought you promised to take us in, to make sure we’re safe. But now…my sister…she’s—”

“I wanted to, Razelin. I tried. I insisted, but she always refused. I didn’t have the legal right to tell her to do anything. Plus, I hardly ever had time…I rarely had the chance—”

“What about after my sister disappeared? Where were you then? Why didn’t you help me? Why didn’t you do anything?” she demanded.

“I was swamped with work; I didn’t even have a chance to leave the castle. I wanted to be there, Razelin, I swear. If I had a chance to do everything differently, I would. You have no idea how much I hate myself for everything that has happened.”

Razelin glared at me with frustration, tears trailing down her face. She ran out of the room, sobbing hysterically. She ran down the road in the rain. I tried to chase after her. “Razelin, wait!”



First: The Siren's Daughter, Part 1 (v1)
Previous: The Siren's Daughter, Part 8 (v1)
Next: The Siren's Daughter, End (v1)

No comments: