Saturday, December 6, 2008

Sight Unseen: Happy Follow-up

For those of you who hate sad endings and wanted a happy one, here it is. This is a follow-up to the original ending that I purposely omitted because I felt that the sad ending was more memorable, and makes the story deliver a different message.

Anyway, here's your happy-ending, let me know what you think!

===============================================================================

After several months had passed, Kismet returned to the very spot she first met Ced. She sat there, staring out over the pond as it glistened in the setting sun. The time they had spent together was so brief that she began to wonder if she imagined it all, but it didn’t matter to her. She could never forget his warm smile, the smile that once brought her to the pond every day. However, every time she remembered his smile, she would also remember the terror that tore them apart...

Kismet, lost in her memories, turned to the tree that Ced sat at the day they met, the same tree where Kismet was no longer the person he imagined, but instead a monster. She lowered her gaze to the spot he used to sit at every time they met. A letter lay atop the bare patch at the base of the tree. Kismet furrowed her brow as she crept toward the letter. Her hands trembled as she picked up the sealed envelope, which had her name written awkwardly across the front. She carefully sliced open the envelope with her claw, and opened the letter. The writing, hardly forming straight lines with some words overlapping, made Kismet’s heart skip a beat.

Dear Kismet,

I truly hope you find this letter, although I suppose you would have already found it if you are reading this. Ever since the last time we saw each other, I have been thinking more and more about the time we spent together. I realized that what I did was terribly wrong and unfair to you. I know you probably hate me for reacting the way I did, but I really wanted to let you know that I am truly sorry.

At the time, when you showed me who you really are, I was in complete shock. Twelve years ago, during the massacre, my sister was killed by Cathera before my very eyes. Despite the time we spent together, all I was able to think about was how my sister was killed. I was angry, confused, and frightened. But ever since that day, I started to regret how I acted. It was unfair for me to blame you for what happened in the past. I just wish I were able to take back the way I acted.

I also wanted to thank you. You’ve been nothing but a good friend to me since the day we met, and I’ll never forget the words you said to me that night. Your words opened my eyes, so to speak. I’ve been doing my best to accept my accursed fate. A little over a month after the last time we saw each other, Allie came by for dinner and I told her how I truly felt about her. After a long conversation, we decided to try again. My family and I moved back to Lesai, so Allie and I could be near each other again. Thanks to your words, it’s been four months now and we’re living happily together, so again, thank you.

I wanted to apologize and thank you in person, but I no longer live in Levan, much less did I even expect you to visit the pond anymore. Even if you have read this, I still do want to thank you in person for telling me what I needed to hear. I hope that one day you’ll find it in your heart to forgive me. It would truly be a blessing to hear your voice again.

- Ced


An overwhelming array of emotions flooded over Kismet. She had given up hope in hearing from him again. She looked at the corner under his signature where a date was written. The date was that very day. She stared at the date more closely in disbelief. She sprung to her feet and ran toward Levan.

Kismet surveyed the village from the trees near the main road. Ced was nowhere to be found. She peered down the road toward Lesai in hopes to spy any hints to his whereabouts, but there was nothing. A door opened from one of the homes.

“Thanks again for the lovely lunch!”

“Yes, thank you, it was very delicious.”

“Any time! It was great seeing you again.”

A young woman walked out of the house leading a man by the hand. Kismet held her breath as she watched the couple make their way to a small caravan. She made her way ahead of the caravan, down the road toward Lesai, out of view from Levan. The couple smiled as they shared a conversation. Kismet walked out onto the side of the road, no longer caring if anyone saw her. The young woman stopped abruptly, mid-sentence, and drew the horses to a stop.

“Allie? What’s wrong?”

Allie stared at Kismet in disbelief, obviously fighting back her initial instinct of fear and hatred. “Is that her?”

“Who?”

Kismet clenched her fists, conquering the anxiety that left her speechless. “Ced…” she said softly.

Ced snapped his head in her direction in disbelief. He slowly descended from the caravan and took a step forward. “Kismet?”

She nodded in reply. Even though he couldn’t see, he knew it was her from the sound of her voice. “I…I’m so sorry I—“

“I read your letter,” she interrupted.

He persisted, “I’m so sorry. I just…I—”

Kismet embraced him, no longer able to restrain her happiness. Ced froze in shock as tears welled-up in his eyes. He returned her embrace, fighting back the memories that haunted him.

“Can you forgive me?” he asked.

“Of course…”

Allie stepped down from the caravan and tapped Ced on the shoulder, clearing her throat. Ced broke his embrace, cleared his throat, and gestured toward Allie. “Kismet, I’d like you to meet Allie. I’ve told her all about you.”

Allie extended her hand hesitantly in greeting, “I’m glad I was able to meet you.”

Kismet stared at the bare hand before her. The only other person who greeted her so sincerely was Ced, only now there is no veil of darkness. Kismet shook Allies hand cautiously.

Kismet averted her eyes, well aware of Allie’s discomfort when she gave an awkward smile.

“Sorry, I just never would’ve imagined a situation like this,” assured Allie with a nervous laugh. “Besides, I have you to thank for bringing me and Ced back together.”

Ced sighed in relief with a smile. He took Allie’s hand in his. “Thank you, Kismet. You have no idea how much you’ve helped.”

Allie smiled softly at Ced. “Would you like to join us for dinner?”

Kismet was speechless. She couldn’t believe that the couple before her was accepting her for who she was, and even inviting her for dinner.

Kismet grinned, unable to contain her happiness, “I-I would love that!”

Ced extended his hand. Kismet left her’s in his care, as he guided her onto to caravan, followed by Allie. Kismet trembled with excitement. Never has she felt such acceptance, such happiness. After leading a life of being ostracized, she never expected that one day she would be invited for anything. She grinned helplessly at the couple. Allie chuckled as she took hold of the reins. She set the horses in motion and the three rode down the trail together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awwww. I /tear'd. D:

I wanna read the sad ending too please~ :<